Business owners and developers now have more technologies then they need. The problem is now choice, not only for business owners who have no expertise but also for the ones in charge of delivering the solution.
As an example:
- HTML 5
- CSS 3 / LessCSS / Sas
- Boiler Plate
- Bootstrap 3
- WordPress, Joomla, Drupal
This is just a short list of online technologies that one might hear when dealing in the online realm. So where do we start then, let’s start with our choice of CMS systems that can help you with your endeavors to conquer the online world?
What is WordPress?
We specialise in many systems but our favorite one is a Content Management System (CMS) called WordPress. This system has been tested and used on millions of websites. In fact to date WordPress now powers 30 percent of the web, according to data from web technology survey firm W3Techs. This represents a 5 percentage point increase in nearly two and a half years, after WordPress hit the 25 percent mark in November 2015.
Advantages of WordPress
In 2018 we still use this system due to flexibility and support. Online businesses and entrepreneurs can build businesses fast and effectively at low cost. WordPress allows for rapid development. It does have some setbacks but all in all, it is suited for most general types of online projects including e-commerce.
- Easy to use, very simple and anyone can learn it
- Remote access, meaning you can update your website from anywhere on any pc
- No HTML Editing or FTP Software Required ( well, for content updates anyway once it is up and running )
- Search Engines Love WordPress Site ( Really they love any site that gives them content and this CMS can help with that no problems at all. )
- You Have Control of Your Site
- The Design of Your Website is 100% Customizable ( But it’s not always easy, you can choose templates and themes. But they can be sometimes difficult to get your head around it.
- A Blog is Built-in and Ready to Go – That’s pretty cool.
- Extend the Functionality of Your Site with Plugins
- Huge Community of developers
- Well known in the Industry as a leader
- Links to Rest API – so you can now use the database for mobile app development
Disadvantages of WordPress
- Open Source Software can be a bit buggy patches etc. But all software has that anyway.
- Conflicts with plugins and other coders.
- Security risks from hackers vulnerabilities
- Overuse of SEO and SEM plugins.
- Load time on servers due to bloated programs
- CSS problems and conflicts with themes and new styles.
- Updates and management of a WordPress site can be challenging sometimes.
All in all, though we really love WordPress and we always have. It has been a very popular system, we have loved it since it was first born and so far we have found it to be amazing for our clients and young businesses. Entrepreneurs wanting to get some branding or online business going really can’t look past WordPress. That is why in 2019 we are giving WordPress the thumbs up again from us here at Gold Coast Multimedia as the number one CMS platform for small businesses.